On November 1, 1858, a group of Englishmen were hurriedly mobilized from the city of Calcutta and organized into a "Pipe-Band" to play at the Governor's House. The occasion - the transfer of power from the Company Bahadur to the British Crown - a ceremony whose grandeur would have been incomplete without the pomp and splendour of a fitting musical accompaniment. Some two hundred and forty eight Indian and British Darogas and Marines in full regalia marched to the tune of the band on this solemn occasion. These assorted musicians were later recruited into the Calcutta Police to form the Police band. Years of development have today crystallized them into a well-trained group of seventy men proficient in both Brass and Pipe instruments.